Oral cancer encompasses a range of malignancies affecting the lips, tongue, floor of the mouth, cheeks, throat (pharynx), sinuses and the hard and soft palates. Detecting oral cancer in its early stages significantly enhances the chances of successful treatment. Unfortunately, many cases of oral cancer go unnoticed until they reach an advanced stage, making treatment more challenging. Our commitment here at Chestnut Family Dentistry is to proactively identify and address oral cancers and abnormalities at the earliest possible phase.
As part of your routine dental checkups, our experienced dentists and dedicated team conduct an oral cancer screening using the advanced OralID screening system. This screening helps us identify potential signs of oral cancer that may otherwise be overlooked.
Key indicators of oral cancer include:
- Persistent Throat Sensations: Feeling like something is stuck in the throat or experiencing a consistent sore throat.
- Unexplained Bleeding: Unusual bleeding within the mouth that doesn’t have an apparent cause.
- Non-Healing Sores: Sores on the face, neck or mouth that do not heal within two weeks and tend to bleed easily.
- Loss of Sensation: Unexplained numbness, pain or loss of feeling in the face, neck or mouth.
- Ear Discomfort: Persistent ear pain with no other apparent cause.
- Oral Irregularities: Lumps, rough spots or bumps on the lips, gums or other oral areas.
- Color Changes: Red, white or speckled red-and-white patches within the mouth.
- Functional Changes: Difficulty in chewing, speaking or swallowing, along with alterations in how teeth or dentures fit together.
While our screenings cover these signs, we encourage you to reach out if you encounter any of these symptoms or experience other dental concerns. Our primary goal is to contribute to your overall health by promoting early detection and timely intervention. Your wellbeing is our priority, and our team is here to support you in maintaining optimal oral health.
To schedule your appointment with Dr. Wendy Willoughby or Dr. Teresa Bare and learn more about OralID oral cancer screening in Asheville, North Carolina, call our team today at 828-255-0936.